new article on fur seals

Subject: new article on fur seals
From: Isabelle CHARRIER <>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:16:53 -0700
Dear All,

 A new paper has been recently published in the Journal of Experimental Biology
on the
 pup?s voice recognition by subantarctic fur seal females (Arctocephalus
tropicalis):

 Charrier, I., Mathevon, N. and Jouventin, P. ?How does a fur seal mother
recognize the
 voice of her pup? An experimental study of Arctocephalus tropicalis.? Journal
of
 Experimental Biology, 205, 603-612.

 Reprints are now available !

 Isabelle Charrier

 Abstract :
 In the subantarctic fur seal Arctocephalus tropicalis, mothers leave their
pups during
 the rearing period to make long and frequent feeding trips to sea. When a
female
 returns from the ocean, she has to find her pup among several hundred other.
Taking
 into account both spectral and temporal domains, we investigated the
individual vocal
 signature occurring in the 'female attraction call' used by pups to attract
their
 mother. We calculated the intra- and inter-individual variability for each
measured
 acoustic cue to isolate those likely to contain information about individual
identity.
 We then tested these cues in playback experiments. Our results show that a
female pays
 particular attention to the lower part of the signal spectrum, the fundamental
 frequency accompanied by its first two harmonics being sufficient to elicit
reliable
 recognition. The spectral energy distribution is also important for the
recognition
 process. Of the temporal features, frequency modulation appears to be a key
component
 for individual recognition, whereas amplitude modulation is not implicated in
the
 identification of the pup?s voice by the mother. We discuss these results with
respect
 to the constraints imposed on fur seals by a colonial way of life.

 Isabelle Charrier, Ph.D student.
 Laboratoire de Biologie Animale
 Université Jean Monnet
 23 rue Michelon