Online Article Announcement

Subject: Online Article Announcement
From: Dave Mellinger <>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:04:12 -0700
This is forwarded on behalf of Rex Andrew, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please
 reply to him, not to me.  -Dave Mellinger

 Dear Colleague,

 We would like to draw your attention to our article,
 "Ocean ambient sound: Comparing the 1960s with the 1990s
 for a receiver off the California coast", by Andrew, Howe,
 Mercer and Dzieciuch, which you may find of interest.

 We were able to compare ambient noise levels measured at
 Pt. Sur in the 1990s (by us) and in the 1960s (by Wenz) and
 generally found an increase of up to 10 dB, particularly
 in the "shipping" bands.

 The article is available online from the electronic journal
 Acoustics Research Letters Online (ARLO) at URL:

  <a  href="http://ojps.aip.org/ARLO/main.jsp";
rel="nofollow">http://ojps.aip.org/ARLO/main.jsp</A>

 Navigate to the April 2002 issue (vol. 3, issue 2).

 Alternatively, this URL should take you directly to the contents webpage
 from which you can download the PDF of GZipped Postscript file:

 <a  href="http://ojps.aip.org/journal_cgi/dbt?KEY=ARLOFJ&Volume=3&Issue=2";
rel="nofollow">http://ojps.aip.org/journal_cgi/dbt?KEY=ARLOFJ&Volume=3&Issue=2</A>

 The abstract is appended below.

 Sincerely,

 Rex K. Andrew
 Applied Physics Laboratory
 Seattle, WA

 ***** ABSTRACT *****
 Ocean ambient sound data from 1994 to 2001 have been
 collected using a receiver on the continental slope off Point
 Sur, California.  A temporary, nearby receiving array was
 used for calibration purposes. The resulting data set is compared
 with long-term averages of earlier measurements made with the
 identical receiver over the period from 1963 to 1965. This
 comparison shows that the 1994 to 2001 levels exceed the 1963
 to 1965 levels by about 10 dB between  20 and 80 Hz and between
 200 and 300 Hz, and about 3 dB at 100 Hz.  Increases in
 (distant) shipping sound levels may account for this.

 Rex K. Andrew                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Applied Physics Laboratory                                   206.543.1250
 University of Washington                               206.543.6785 (FAX)
 Seattle, Washington, USA             <a
href="http://staff.washington.edu/rxandrew";
rel="nofollow">http://staff.washington.edu/rxandrew</A>