Re: Mac software

Subject: Re: Mac software
From: Brian Nelson <>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:16:16 -0800
> In the Bioacoustic lab of our museum we are in a process of digitization
 > and transcription of old analog recordings to compact discs. In this
 > procedure we need a real time spectral analysis of recordings.
 > Since in our acoustic lab we are using Mac computers, I am curious if
 > somebody knows suitable software for this purpose.

 I have written (actually modified) real time time-frequency spectrogram
 procedures for use with IGOR Pro.

 <a  href="http://php.indiana.edu/~brsnelso/Igor/RealTime.html";
rel="nofollow">http://php.indiana.edu/~brsnelso/Igor/RealTime.html</A>

 <a  href="http://php.indiana.edu/~brsnelso/BSound.html";
rel="nofollow">http://php.indiana.edu/~brsnelso/BSound.html</A>

 These procedures allow you to view a real time spectrogram display and
 produce markers for time segments as they pass by (using a unique time
 marker or other user defined text string plus the time marker).

 You can then select each marker (i.e., time selection) individually from the
 list of markers you have just produced and save the associated time
 selections as sound files (AIFF format in MacOS, WAV format in Windows). You
 can also step through each marker in the sequence in which they were
 produced.

 As a third alternative, you can save time selections from the display as
 they go by (i.e., in real time; although you take the risk of missing new
 stuff that might pass by while you are distracted).

 The length of time you can view and mark before you have to stop and save
 the marked selections will depend on the size of your hard disk. The
 procedures are setup to save the spectrogram display in addition the sound
 waveform and, as a result, a relatively large amount of space can be
 consumed relatively quickly (depending on FFT size).

 The user interface can be adapted easily to meet your specific needs and, in
 sum, I can't think of a more efficient way to make the transcription that
 you describe...

 In addition, if you would like to produce a single long AIFF file that you
 could then write to an audio format CD (as opposed to as series of
 individual AIFF files in a normal file structure) you could easily modify
 the procedures to append the waveform selections to a single long AIFF file.

 ***

 I am assuming that you don't merely want to transfer the entire recordings
 to CD as this would simply involve recording one long audio file and then
 writing this file to a CD...

 Brian

 --

 Brian S. Nelson