birding-aus

Swan Song

To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Swan Song
From: David Clark via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2026 18:08:24 +1000
I guess that it was inevitable Russell ... but what a great resource in its heyday!

A big thank you to you, Paul, Ruth, Karen, Peter, Bill and the broader Birding-Aus community that made it such a helpful, welcoming and informative group.

I'm sure that I will be crossing paths via Facebook now.

Cheers

David

On Fri, Aug 7, 2026 at 5:55 PM Russell Woodford via Birding-Aus <> wrote:
Hi everyone

I'd rather think of this message as our Swan Song - the alternative is Dead as a Dodo!

For the last couple of years, the BIrding-Aus mailing list has been very quiet. Then exceptionally quiet. But in the last few months there has been a flurry of activity - in bounced messages! The one or two messages to the mailing list have each generated up to about 300 error messages, mainly because some of your email servers haven't liked our mailing list settings. 

After some discussion with our moderation team it's been decided to discontinue the Birding-Aus mailing list. This is something that has seemed inevitable for a while, due to very little traffic and many other services that have taken the place of mailing lists. Our website http://birding-aus.org will continue in some form, but I am hoping to migrate it (technical term, but take it as a birding term if you like!) to another host. We have been very well served by EMWD.com for 12 years, but it's time to find a less expensive option. Our Facebook Group is still active (far more active than the mailing list!) and any announcements about the website will appear there. I hope to offer some sort of online forum through the website in due course. 

So a final HUGE thanks to all our contributors over the years, and particularly to moderators:
Paul Dodd
Ruth Woodrow
Karen Pearson
Peter Shute
Bill Stent

This team has contributed many, many hours of work to keep things running smoothly, approving messages, dealing with bounces, and helping people subscribe/unsubscribe. I am very grateful to you all, and especially Peter and Bill, who have done most of the moderating over the last few years.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, trip reports, ID help and so many other forms of assistance. It's a great community, and I am very sad to announce the end of the mailing list. However, our Facebook presence continues, the website is getting rebuilt, and of course the archives are still a useful resources. I've been so privileged to meet many of you face-to-face, and have some great birding memories as a result. 

Thank you, everyone, for helping to make Birding-Aus such a friendly, welcoming, helpful community. I wish you all many more wonderful birding experiences!

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner


<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>
<BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
<BR> http://birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
</HR>
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR> 
<BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
<BR> http://birding-aus.org/mailman/listinfo/birding-aus_birding-aus.org
</HR>
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Swan Song, Russell Woodford via Birding-Aus
    • Swan Song, Alistair McKeough via Birding-Aus
    • Swan Song, David Clark via Birding-Aus <=
    • Swan Song, Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus
    • Swan Song, John Harris via Birding-Aus
    • Swan Song, Stephen Ambrose via Birding-Aus
Admin

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU