birding-aus

square tail kite near Central Tilba, south coast NSW

To: "'Martin Butterfield'" <>, "'Kim Sterelny'" <>
Subject: square tail kite near Central Tilba, south coast NSW
From: <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 11:48:29 +1100

In the late 1970s I observed the first Square-tailed Kites in the Clarence Valley at about the same time that Stephen Marchant recorded them at Moruya.  They had probably been present at both localities for some time but were overlooked or misidentified or the numerous coastal and near-coastal records are a recent occurrence.

Greg Clancy

Coutts Crossing