birding-aus

Michael Hunter

To: "Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Michael Hunter
From: "Penny Brockman" <>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 10:27:00 +1000
Dear Charles

I’m very sorry to hear about your uncle Michael. I’ve been with him on many
tours and kept up a birding conversation over the years. The world has lost an
exuberant character, an endless conversationist, a keen naturalist, and an
enthusiast for life.

I last met up with Penny and him in Townsville attending John Young’s first
Night Parrot talk and had a super dinner with them on the dockside.   He’ll be
much missed.

Please give my heartfelt condolences to Penny. It’ll be a hard time for her.
With best wishes to all the family.

--------------------
 Penny Brockman

On Tue, 24 May 2022, at 8:40 PM, Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My uncle Michael Hunter passed away on Sunday 22nd May at the age of
> 83, just shy of his birthday.
>
> I know many of you met and also knew Michael, a unique character,
> nature enthusiast and bird watcher.
>
> He traveled extensively in his pursuit of bird watching and saw several
> hundred Australian birds (he hated pelagic trips as he’d always get
> crook).
>
> His nemesis bird was the princess parrot (numerous attempts were made
> to see it to no avail).
>
> I will miss him and his Mulgoa reports.
>
> I actually saw a Storm’s stork on Sunday morning in Borneo before I had
> heard the news of his passing and thought of Michael as the stork
> majestically flew by and then landed close. It kept eye contact as the
> boat drove off and we left the bird in peace.
>
> Michael gave me my first Australian bird guide in my teen years and I’d
> say that got me in to birding.
>
> For those close to him, his wife Penny has requested no flowers but
> rather a donation to Birdlife.
>
> Warm regards,
> Charles Hunter
>

> <HR>