birding-aus

Sydney Birding Possibilities

To: <>
Subject: Sydney Birding Possibilities
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:49:51 +1000
Hi Paul (and cc list)
timeframe not mentioned – so I assume current = now(?), but how long is the visit for?

If not registered with eBird, I would suggest that you do this, as through that website you can then access all recent site lists for hotspots that you might be near, but can also search species reports (you’d need to set up an account but it’s free).  Regent HEs will not be easy...Ebird has 1 report since 1-1-22 – a single bird seen on a private property in the Capertee Valley...

My recent experience with Cronulla (Metromix?) Swamp is “don’t bother” – access point and roosting islands are both heavily overgrown and when I have dropped in there was not much of special interest present.  If at Kurnell would suggest sites in Botany Bay NP or Potter Point/Doughboy Head.  If visiting Capertee, personally I prefer Glen Alice to Glen Davis, but there are a range of sites that hold good and different birds in the Capertee Valley.  See if you can access the Capertee Bird Routes brochure as that will be a huge help if you are going there.  Not sure how long you are going to be west of the Blue Mts or how far west, but there are also bird route guides for around Bathurst, Mudgee, Cowra and Orange, none of which are that far from Capertee Valley (not in Aussie driving terms anyway).

Currently water can cause issues with access – eg the Lane Cove River (North Epping = Powerful Owl?  Try Centennial Park) will be running high and blocking the crossings again after today’s rain in that area (local for me). The areas around Windsor & Richmond in NW Sydney have also suffered in recent weeks – not been out there for a long session since mid-February but I drove through last weekend and it all looked very damp still.  Blue Mts access to side roads or some specific sites might be restricted if there are landslides, and note that the road down to Pierce’s Pass picnic area (off Bells Line of Road) was blocked off last weekend by a locked gate (you could walk in).  The Access road to Mt Banks was open it seemed.  If you’re visiting that spot specifically for Rock Warbler, I thought I heard one on the Walls Lookout walk on Sunday but didn’t see it.  Check species records on eBird, but there are plenty of possible sites in the Blue Mts or closer to Sydney.  There was good birding around Mt Victoria (end of Mt York Road) last weekend though, plus the botanic gardens at Mt Tomah always have a good bird selection.

There are bits of the Blue Mts that are still very fire affected (ie the trees got totally wiped out) but many areas are also coming back reasonably well.

Good luck & Cheers
Tom Wilson

Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2022 2:19 PM
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Sydney Birding Possibilities

Have just received a request regarding the current possibilities of birding in the Sydney area from a birder from the UK. The areas that he is thinking of visiting are, Royal NP, Cronulla Swamp, North Epping, Dharug NP, Pierces Pass and Glen Davis. He is concerned about the conditions in these areas due to the forest fires and now flooding in the area. One of his main objectives is to see the Regent Honeyeater, which he has missed on previous visits.
As I live in Brisbane I really don't have much current info, though I can guess that water is probably an issue.
I've cc'd Paul in on this post so you can respond privately or to the list for all.

Tom

--

************************
I.B. (Tom) Tarrant