birding-aus

Bergmann’s rule

To: "'Casimir Liber'" <>, "'calyptorhynchus'" <>
Subject: Bergmann’s rule
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 17:39:32 +1100

My take on this is that Bergmann’s rule, like several others, is a generally observed phenomenon. Note words “tend to be”.  It doesn’t always apply and neither should it. There are many other factors operating. I recall some research by I think Jane Hughes if I recall that correctly, that our Magpies vary in many genetic markers, of which few if any correlate to the differences in back colour. Why the book may not comment on these 2 examples, you would probably need to ask the authors.

Philip