birding-aus

Sarus Cranes being disturbed by toggers

To: Phil Gregory <>
Subject: Sarus Cranes being disturbed by toggers
From: MADELON LANE <>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 17:00:10 +1000
On a similar note but tragic. Today we were at Conway Beach, near Conway National Park, between Airlie Beach and Proserpine, Queensland and birding along a mangrove track off the main be. Heard the throaty roar of 4WDs roaring up the beach and when we came back out onto the beach saw the three young men hooning their three utes along the beach, speeding, donuts, bogging in the dunes, then roaring off back onto the road and off.
We first saw a couple of disoriented adult Red Capped Plovers running aimlessly. Then the sad sight of more than a dozen half grown chicks milling about, some injured in the general zone of their crushed and ruined nests and siblings.
Just another 15 minutes of fun for rednecks. In another few years maybe a local will casually notice “don’t see any Red Capped Plovers here anymore” and the extermination of all living things rolls on.