birding-aus

Starlings and Indian Mynahs.

To: "" <>
Subject: Starlings and Indian Mynahs.
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:38:52 +1000
Hi Cathy,

              As Stephen Ambrose noted, architects are designing buildings
which are not conducive to birds, nesting or roosting.  In cities, targeting
pigeons in particular, starlings as well.

              I have seen a large colony of Mynahs nesting in a hole in an
ancient Angophora in Mulgoa, in the now Walleroo Nature Reserve, but that
didn't last long, possibly because of our large resident Varanus  goannas, or
other birds, although none of the latter seen later.

        But, confirming your suspicions, elsewhere in the Valley when we still
had starlings, they were fighting with Rainbow Lorikeets in particular over a
nesting hole in an old  Eucalypt, the lorikeets won that battle bit I suspect
that possums may have won the war.

          We eradicated the Indian Mynahs from our place by simply blocking two
openings under the  house eaves where they were nesting. Forget traps or other
measures, to rid a suburb of Indian Mynahs just block off all their in roof
nesting access.  QED.  McMansions in new suburbs probably don't have holes
under their eaves.
               Hopefully they are landscaped with flowering bushy natives, ban
cats and insecticides. and have flourishing bird populations including  "Blue"
wrens.

           Best

               Michael

Sent from my iPhone