birding-aus

Old bird names

To: Terrill Nordstrom <>
Subject: Old bird names
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:14:28 +0930
Hi Terrill

A   place to look could be Graham Pizzey's field guide to birds of australia if you can get hold of one of the old ones, illustrated by Roy Doyle where the plates were still in the middle.  There is  a wealth of alternative names in there , names i grew up with and still love.  finding your birds could be a long process even if they are there, as naturally they are not indexed.  With the Illawarra  list and what you have already you may be able to narrow it down.  For example, there are different names from what John has provided from McDonald's so the names you are after could be tucked away in there somewhere.

Gary