birding-aus

Bird baths.

To: "'Chris King'" <>
Subject: Bird baths.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:25:36 +1100

I think birds will make use of anything. In the question asked they would need to be able to see it, and that might take a while. I am thinking that the floor might be too smooth for birds to feel safe standing in it. It might work. One old story. In the 1970s when a move in residence had me relocate my finches from one aviary into flight cages for nearly 3 years before having another aviary, I had my finches in 4 flight cages stacked one above the other. At that time pet shops would sell a bird bath that clipped onto the front wires of the cage door. As in lift the door and the bath clipped onto the cage front, on the door, outside the cage. So the birds would go outside the cage into a fully see through 5 sided box. They learned this very quickly, even though going into it might have looked like they were stepping into space. They clearly accepted it and more to the point I only had one and so would give it to each cage in succession. The birds could all hear and some see the others bathing and as one started, those in the next cages would start trying to bathe in the little water that was available just from the drinking spout. They did not do that at other times. Also being fully enclosed, apart from the entry, it made cleaning easier than putting an open bowl in the cage. For what it is worth I have not kept birds since 1977.

Philip