birding-aus

Topknot Pigeons in Greenwich, Lane Cove

To: Andy Burton <>
Subject: Topknot Pigeons in Greenwich, Lane Cove
From: Kate Ravich <>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 11:26:32 +1100
Thanks Andy.  Interesting.  Really pleased you have seen them before as it
doesn’t make my experience seem so unusual and so ‘desperate.’  I have starting
putting out food though.  Not for Topknots specifically as I doubt they would
take it, but in the hopes it may relieve the pressure on what natural food is
available.  Fingers X.

Cheers

Kate

> On 3 Jan 2020, at 9:06 pm, Andy Burton <> wrote:
>
> Hi Kate, although not commonly seen in northern Sydney, they are certainly
> regular travellers along the coast and have been for many years. I live in
> Roseville on the other side of the valley from Chris Charles and they have
> been regulars over the past few years. They have been here for the past
> couple of weeks and like Chris’s birds have been feeding on fruits of
> Bangalow Palms, although I presume not exclusively so. I expect them to stay
> in the area for a while longer yet. They are also present on the Warringah
> Peninsula atm, but I'm not sure how many. Other interesting sightings in Blue
> Gum Creek recently include a regular Square-tailed Kite, regular Hobby,
> Scarlet Honeyeaters which are unusual here and a single sighting of a
> Peregrine, although they are seen here occasionally. The Powerful Owl and
> Boobook have been calling and a Satin Bowerbird was an unusual visitor,
> although I suspect that Chris sees them regularly across the Valley.
>
> Whilst your birds might be refugees from the bushfires, that would not
> normally have been the case in northern Sydney.
>
> A nice record, especially in your garden 😊
>
> Andy
>
>> On 3 Jan 2020, at 5:53 pm, Kate Ravich <> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve never seen this before.  About 20 Topknot pigeons flew over my garden a
>> couple of days ago and now 3 have been in it, looking about.  Refugees from
>> the bush fires no doubt.  I think its time we actively promoted not only
>> putting water out but also responsible feeding over this unprecedented
>> disaster time.  Even if only the local residents respond, that will help to
>> take pressure off the natural food supplies that remain.
>> Kate
>>

>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>