birding-aus

First birds of the year in Tromsø

To: "Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: First birds of the year in Tromsø
From: "Penny Brockman" <>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 08:58:36 +1100
I’m glad to hear that despite cataracts and hearing problems you are still keeping watch on your local wildlife. You will know of our appalling fires here and the loss of our wildlife. It’s unbelievably horrible. Houses can be rebuilt but our koala populations can’t so easily. And the birds that survive will have little to eat. It’s the small woodland birds that suffer most. They can’t fly away soon enough.

Before the fires started I had unusual visitors to my ponds. Wompoo fruitdoves, a lone Zebra finch, olive backed orioles, all in need of water as the dams and creeks dried up. We’ve had over three years of minimal rain and our reliable rivers fed from swamps in Barrington Tops are now just a series of murky ponds and town water is being trucked in from underground reserves near the coast. Today’s temperatures bring a brief respite mid 20s Celsius instead of 38 to 42c but higher elsewhere. Oh for rain.  The northern hemisphere has gallons right now. Please send some south!

Penny in Gloucester. Presently unable to check on birdlife beyond her garden due to hip operation and walking in a frame. Very frustrating!  Welcome to old age.

Penny Brockman