birding-aus

Head pressing in Eastern Rosellas

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, "'Geoff Ryan'" <>, <>
Subject: Head pressing in Eastern Rosellas
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 16:09:46 +1000

While I agree with Philip and others that this is probably a response to mites or other ectoparasites, head-pressing in some birds and mammals can be a result of a neurological disorder. It is often seen in animals experiencing lead toxicity, so if the rosellas have been chewing wood that is coated with lead paint, or consuming food polluted with lead, they may have neurological damage.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW