birding-aus

A problem with Kowa telescopes

Subject: A problem with Kowa telescopes
From: Aidan Sudbury via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 13:38:43 +1000

I purchased a Kowa 883 Spotting scope last year. It is excellent optically, but does have a problem which I think is worth alerting birders to. Both rubber lens caps fall off very easily and I noticed most times, but, eventually, I lost the one on the eye-piece. More seriously, and surprisingly, the rubber bit which you can unscrew to change from use with the naked eye to use with spectacles also fell off, and I didn’t notice until it was too late.

I have been trying for several months to get a replacement from my supplier, digiDirect, and others with no luck. I now have a naked lens.

The only solution that was offered was to send the whole telescope back to the distributor, which I am reluctant to do, as I feel there are risks, and all I want are small pieces of rubber, which, if they can fall off, can be fitted easily. And there is no guarantee they can replace the parts anyway.

If anyone knows how to get these piece I would be very grateful. If you do buy a Kowa, you should try and secure these parts by some means.

Aidan Sudbury

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>