birding-aus

Raptors on the Bellarine Peninsula

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Raptors on the Bellarine Peninsula
From: David Clark <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 15:23:21 +1000
I was putting tree guards on new plantings in our front paddock this morning
when I heard raptors calling overhead.  I looked up and saw three Brown Falcons
and a Black Falcon overhead.  As I was watching them, a Wedge-tailed Eagle
soared over at a higher altitude.  The Brown Falcons were interacting with each
other, the Black Falcon and the Eagle were doing their own thing.

We put in our new plants last Thursday and, at one stage, there were five Black
Kites looking for easy pickings where we were working.  A Brown Goshawk flashed
by shortly after.

All of the raptors mentioned above are regular visitors but it is unusual to
see three species at once.  It is also unusual that our resident Whistling
Kites were nowhere to be seen.

Cheers

David

Sent from my iPad