birding-aus

Dancing to the Cockatoo Rock

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: Dancing to the Cockatoo Rock
From: Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 19:52:55 +1000
Laurie, I suspect that applies to many of the Cacatuidae. They are all rather
smart.

I had some insane little corella’s dancing and intimidating me this morning on
my morning walk near Tamarama (NSW).

I also observed several orange-crested cockatoo recently on Sumba (Indonesia)
and although 20cm shorter than the SCC, it was remarkable how similar their
raucous behaviour was to the SCC (although the OCC are much more timid given
they have almost been poached to extinction in the wild).

Best,
Charles Hunter
Bronte, NSW

> On 9 Jul 2019, at 6:31 pm, Laurie Knight <> wrote:
>
> An interesting story about a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo that choreographs his
> own dance moves
>
> see
> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/jul/08/cockatoo-choreographs-his-own-dance-moves-researchers-believe
> <HR>