birding-aus

The spread of feral parrots in the USA

To: "<>" <>
Subject: The spread of feral parrots in the USA
From: calyptorhynchus <>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 06:57:04 +1000

In the neighbourhood of our house in Hughes, ACT, we can see the following parrot spp on a daily basis:

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Eastern Rosella

Crimson Rosella

Red-rumped Parrot

Gang-gang

Rainbow Lorikeet

Galah

Depending on the time of year we can also see:

King Parrots

We have also seen the following:

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

Superb Parrot

Little Corella

Long-billed Corella

Musk Lorikeet

Little Lorikeet

Swift Parrot

15 species, I doubt whether there is anywhere else on earth you can see as many parrot spp in one suburban, or non-urban, spot.*

Of these only the Long-billed Corella is definitely introduced to the Canberra area (Little Corella may be, or a natural introduction from drought-refugee flocks).

* I'm sure people from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane &c will provide their lists and contest this.