birding-aus

African Olive

To: "" <>
Subject: African Olive
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 21:26:26 +1000
Hi All.

I was woken predawn at Avoca Beach NSW on Sunday by a remarkable chorus of
contented whistles, chortles, clicks, snaps, rasps, hiccups, short songs and
other bird noises emanating from a huge old African Olive outside the bedroom
window.
It was laden with small fruit, unripened green and ripe black.

I identified Satin Bowerbird, King Parrot, Rainbow Lorikeet, Pied Currawong,
Noisy Miner, Indian Miner in the tree, and  a pair of Scrubfowl on the ground
feeding on fallen fruit including green unripened  "olives",
may have missed others in the dark.

This at have been some kind of "feeding  flock" of larger birds, none were
there next day and they may have together moved on to other fruiting trees. Our
tree still had plenty of fruit.

What were probably squabbling fruit bats, possums and maybe rats woke us
through the night as well.

Although a noxious weed the tree has been spared,

Sent from my iPhone
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>