birding-aus

Why do cattle hate koalas?

To: <>
Subject: Why do cattle hate koalas?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 10:56:10 +1100

I did not know about this, but this is real. Some film and other information below. I also doubt the bear link – I suggest lions – stay with me. Although this is dealing with instincts, so the current behaviour may well go back in time long before cows existed as cows. I think a koala would look more like a wolverine (to a cow) than a bear.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/.../koalas-are-being-trampled-by-livestock.aspx

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-17/livestock-attacks-koalas-more-common-wildlife-experts-say/8625762

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/abigcountry/new...koalas/10763290

After a little bit of thought, it is easy to make suggestions. Firstly cattle can not have an insane hatred of Koalas. Cattle cannot have any idea what a koala is. However anyone who has watched more than a small amount of TV docos of wildlife in Africa will know that buffalo (related to ancestral stock of cattle), routinely kill lion cubs whenever they find them isolated from the protection of the lion pride. They actively hunt them out. Looking at the film of cattle attacking a koala, the behaviour of the cattle is virtually the same as the buffalo, maybe not as vigorous! For buffalo to attack adult lions is sometimes successful but also an extremely risky thing to do. But killing babies is a good strategy for buffalo. Also there is the complication that the calling of koalas is not much different from the roaring of lions. Cattle surely can hear and respond to that with preservation-induced concern about potentially their number one enemy nearby, then when they find what they think is a baby lion…….

As for wombats. If there is a difference it is hard to know. Wombats mostly wander around at night when most cows are not active, and are I suspect they are much faster at running than are koalas. Wombats are also tougher and don’t sound like a lion. Koalas wander around in the daytime although quite likely also at night, I don’t know about that.

Philip

1.