birding-aus

Pelicans on posts

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>
Subject: Pelicans on posts
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2019 12:45:27 +1100

No! It was me who started it with my post on Sat 19-Jan-19 6:26 PM, with the alliterative “Pelicans perching on poles”. Inspired by light poles at Batemans Bay and elsewhere. My enquiry was about why such big birds without the benefit of feet adapted to perching, would bother to do this, as it just looks so incongruous. My best answer is they mainly do it to avoid being bothered by people and dogs walking past. Applying the issue to cormorants is not that interesting, as they are not so big and routinely perch on trees.

Philip