birding-aus

feather

To: "'calyptorhynchus'" <>, <>
Subject: feather
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:06:53 +1100

I have other suggestions:

Wing feather of a Rainbow Bee-eater, although I don’t understand the size (John first wrote 4 cm then 9 cm), the yellow to orange colour looks like a possible match, the green above appears to me to be too green. But may be a possible option.

The green outer vane and mostly yellow inner vane would also fit a tail feather of a either Scarlet-chested or Turquoise Parrot. But the orange tint doesn’t fit and the shape doesn’t look right. And how would that get there unless as Sue suggested it came off someone’s hat!

As for Rainbow Lorikeet, it isn’t a normal one of them but there is a commercial aviary in Canberra that has lots of them, including hybrids with Scaly-breasted and Musk in many combinations and they have some strange messy colour patterns. There are probably similar captive mixed flocks elsewhere. Though it is hard to see how that would produce that result, hybrid origin may be an option to significantly alter the normal pattern of a wing feather.

A foreign species or human carried in random feather. Very hard to know where to start and finish on that. The most common foreign parrots are lovebirds and Rose-ringed Parakeet and it doesn’t fit any of them.

As for Wompoo Fruit-Dove The new photo underneath actually adds much less than I had hoped. The colour below being hardly different. But clearly that conclusion is now not convincing. So that idea does not go towards it. I am hampered by that I am not at a museum with access to skins and don’t know that bird all that well and mainly that there is a significant discrepancy between the books. Frith’s book says: “the underside of the primaries and secondaries is grey-brown on the distal half, shading to chestnut on the proximal half”. HANZAB underwing picture does show the inner webs of the primaries as dull yellow. That does not match.

Maybe John can ask at the ANWC (CSIRO) museum.

Philip