birding-aus

Red Goshawks caught and netted during nesting season

To: "'business'" <>, <>, "'shirleycook'" <>
Subject: Red Goshawks caught and netted during nesting season
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 06:59:10 +1100

Hi All,

Steve Debus has requested that I send the following response to David Crawford’s latest comments (while Shirley Cook is temporarily absent from Birding-aus).

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW

There are really only 2 points to make in response: (i) the 1980s work with radio (UHF) trackers was done in Kakadu (a protected area) and the results were long since made public (in 1991 then again in HANZAB 1993, and subsequently in public recovery plans etc.); and (ii) the current work on Cape York Peninsula – a different and threatened environment –  is with satellite transmitters, which  give much better data, in a proposed mining area so the researchers can identify key Red Goshawk areas and aspects of the birds’ ecology, so as to better understand and conserve them.  Richard Seaton was the instigator of the Red Goshawk Recovery Team.  Red Goshawk biologists are rightly reluctant to reveal nest sites, to protect them from intrusive twitchers/photographers as well as those who would deliberately harm them.  There are already well-known and ‘twitched’(and more accessible) nests that people can visit, though the pair at Mataranka moved nest after too much attention.

Field surveys in 2012–14 of Red Goshawks around  Weipa, and in south-east Qld, were published in Sunbird for 2014 and catalysed the Weipa research and the Recovery Team, respectively.  If Dr Seaton (AWC) and David Stewart (QDEHP) are driving the research and the Recovery Team then the results will assuredly be published when there are sufficient data.  Although my Weipa survey results were funded by Rio Tinto through Ecotone Environmental Services, Rio Tinto were amenable to publication.

Steve Debus