birding-aus

Who is the killer?

To: Roaminoz - <>
Subject: Who is the killer?
From: Anne Brophy <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 07:44:37 +1100
Philip, I remembered your quote also. It is from David Holland’s ‘Birds of the Night’. The photo on page 44 is captioned “A Barn Owl roosting with a newly fledged Powerful Owl. The Barn Owl paid for this indiscretion with its life”

I did a brief literature search on avian Powerful Owl prey recently for an assignment and the following articles mention Tawny Frogmouth.

Bilney, R.J.  2013.  Geographic variation in the diet of the powerful owl (Ninox strenua) at a local scale.  Aust. J. Zool.  61: 372-377
Bilney, R.J.  2013.  Home-range, diet and breeding of a Powerful Owl Ninox strenua in East Gippsland, Victoria.  Aust. Field Ornithol.  30: 40-46
Chafer, C.J.  1992.  Observations of the Powerful Owl Ninox strenua in the Illawarra and Shoalhaven regions of New South Wales.  Aust. Bird Watcher.  14: 289-300
Debus, S.J.S. and Chafer, C.J.  1994.  The Powerful Owl Ninox strenua in New South Wales.  Aust. Birds.  28 Supp: S21-S36
Eyre, T.J. and Schulz, M.  1996.  Northern range extension of the Powerful Owl Ninox strenua.  Aust. Bird Watcher.  16(7): 296-298

The following is interesting from Chafer (1992) observing a Powerful Owl

On 23 October 1982 my wife and I were travelling towards the Weddin Mountains State Forest on the South-West Slopes of New South Wales. At approximately 2130 h, some 40 km north of Young on the Henry Lawson Way, a Tawny Frogmouth Podargus strigoides was noticed perched on a roadside fence-post. The car was parked on the road verge with headlights shining on the bird, and after a few minutes a portable spotlight replaced the headlights. The Frogmouth was totally disinterested in our presence, its focus riveted to a spot on the ground. Suddenly a huge bird appeared from behind and to the left of the Frogmouth. It went straight for the Frogmouth, its huge talons wrapping around the bird's head. We were so startled by the owl's appearance that several exclamations were made. This appeared to affect the owl's behaviour because it dropped the Frogmouth, veered to the left and silently flew off into the adjacent forest, still illuminated by our spotlight

Kind regards,
Anne