birding-aus

Stewart Island NZ

To: Kirri Hardy <>, Birding Aus <>, Peter Ewin <>
Subject: Stewart Island NZ
From: Tim Sykes via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 07:10:24 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Kirri,

A quick note mostly just to echo what Peter just said...

- forget about Kakapo unless you're willing to volunteer on one of the DoC projects for a month;
- there are common NZ endemic birds everywhere on Stewart Is it would seem!
- there are Kiwi in and around Oban town (Church Hill, rugby field, footpaths leading in and out of the rugby field, etc).  I just saw Kiwi on Ulva island at 5pm (ie broad daylight), although I searched for 5 hours before scoring.  I missed Yellowhead, although another guy saw them twice in 4 hours.  It's very easy to day-trip.
- seem to be lots of accom and food options to suit whatever budget.
- there are also several companies offering wildlife tours if you wanted to team up with an expert for a better chance of seeing Kiwi, plus also other target birds / sea lions / albatrosses / dolphins maybe / whatever else.

Hope that's of use!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim Sykes BSc MCIEEM

Freelance Ecologist - Terrestrial and Marine