birding-aus

Budgie house husband

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Budgie house husband
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 08:41:47 +1100
Re Lewins Rail family feeding chicks.

Some months ago we caught an escaped blue female budgie  which had been chased
by a Grey Butcherbird, kept her  and bought a cockbird for company, they mated,
we put in a nesting box and three noisy chicks hatched.
While moving them to a much larger cage, the hen escaped, leaving the three
small chicks, blind and featherless and the male, who was distraught and
continually calling for his mate.

She never returned and we had grave fears for the hatchlings who kept
constantly calling for food.

The male, until them seemingly uninvolved with the chicks, came to the party
after a couple of days of hopping around distressed by the constant "cheeping",
 not knowing what to do, began feeding the chicks which have now, about two
weeks later, fledged,  running around and sticking their heads out of the
nesting box, They should be independent in a few days.

Not sure, but it looks like the male"s blue cere is turning brown at the edges !

         Cheers

           Michael

Sent from my iPhone
<HR>