birding-aus

Wedgies

To: "'David Clark'" <>, "'Michael Hunter'" <>
Subject: Wedgies
From: "Ross Macfarlane \(TPG\)" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 21:43:01 +1000
Some interesting observations in this article among those I posted earlier
https://theconversation.com/mass-slaughter-of-wedge-tailed-eagles-could-have
-australia-wide-consequences-98011
"
Do eagles kill lambs?
The wedge-tailed eagle is a powerful predator that kills a variety of
mammals. Anecdotal observations by landowners describe birds attacking live
lambs and even half-grown sheep. There are also cases in the literature of
them working in tandem to hunt larger prey such as kangaroos - behaviour
that has been widely documented for large eagle species.

However, evidence gathered during extensive research in Australia has shown
that in most cases, eagles seen feeding on lamb or sheep carcasses are
"cleaning up" after other predators like foxes and crows, which were
actually the direct cause of death.

There are no documented cases of wedge-tailed eagles causing significant
economic impacts to the sheep industry. But even if they did, there are
other options besides culling. Carcasses placed near livestock would provide
easier alternative food sources, for example. Shepherds can effectively
guard flocks and protect lambs. Finally, given that wedge-tailed eagles are
protected, it may be appropriate for the government to pay compensation for
livestock losses.
"