birding-aus

. Re: Help!

Subject: . Re: Help!
From: Ronda Green <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 04:14:43 +1000
Hi Sue

Currawongs are very smart birds, but they’re also very cautious, probably more
so than the yellow robins, When doing fieldwork on frugivorus birds, I had to
conceal myself more fully or stay further from the fruiting tree if I wanted to
watch currawongs or crows than if it was just honeyeaters, fig birds etc. and I
spent a full week at Binna Burra, where although currawongs didn’t hesitate to
raid picnic tables and beg for food in the campground,  gradually habituating
them to a  cage trap similar to one that had previously caught a couple of
hundred bowerbirds.  Finally on the last morning  two went in at once and I
caught them both - and I’m sure I would never have caught any more after their
companions witnessed it. I’ve never had any luck catching them in mistnets.
Maybe you could try putting a kind of scarecrow nearby, or  life-size statue of
a dog or hawk, testing of course to see if the robins are worried by it.  I
found  a hawk statue worked for stopping crows eating our free-range chickens’
eggs and the chickens didn’t seem daunted by it at all..

Cheers

Ronda

> On 3 Sep 2018, at 2:00 am,  wrote:
>
> . Re: Help!