birding-aus

Help!

To: Sue Dawson <>
Subject: Help!
From: Andrew Thelander <>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 16:11:47 +1000
Hi Sue

The first thing is not to draw attention to the nest. Currawongs, butcherbirds
etc. watch everything in their patch and will follow what you are taking an
interest in. A bird photographer in the old days once told me that EVERY nest
he photographed was subsequently raided by a predator and nothing fledged. (He
may well have been “pruning” to get a better shot - very unethical).

Not trying to make you feel bad but it’s a tough world out there for nesting
bush birds. When you check the nest out, don’t go too close and pretend you are
interested in things in the other direction! And don’t stay too long.

I hope it goes well. They are wonderfully camouflaged nests, aren’t they?

Cheers
Andrew

> On 2 Sep 2018, at 12:05 pm, Sue Dawson <> wrote:
>
> Any ideas how I can protect a nest with 2 eastern yellow robin chicks? Mother
> holding back as there’s been a couple of pied currawongs this morning coming
> in eyeing the chicks off. They’ve flown away a short time ago but I’m sure
> they’ll be back.
> Nest is about 4m off the ground in a spindly eucalypt.
>
> Thank,
> Sue
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> <HR>