birding-aus

Fwd: Ducks

To: <>
Subject: Fwd: Ducks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 09:51:45 +1000
OK I'll have a go. Whilst I am not sure I would know what is intended by the
term or how to identify a Pekin duck as distinct from just a white farm-type
Mallard, I find from the internet: https://www.roysfarm.com/pekin-duck/

"Pekin duck is an old dual purpose duck breed. It was originated in China
and is now one of the most popular commercial duck breeds. It was bred from
the mallard in China. Pekin duck is also known by some other names, such as
the American Pekin duck or Long Island duck. Sometimes they are wrongly
written as Peking ducks. The breed was brought to the Western World in the
middle of 1800s. The Pekin duck is now the most admired commercial meat duck
breed in the United States. Their egg laying ability and fine meat quality
made them the first choice of the American duck farmers. Today the Pekin
duck is very popular and available throughout the world."

Therefore of course a Pekin Duck is a Mallard, thus nothing odd about a
Mallard (cross or happy) mating with it. Mallards are randy anyway.

On other internet searches it appear that Peking Duck is a recipe for
cooking ducks (most likely Mallards).

As for copulating or showing dominance behaviours, well in a case like this,
probably best to ask them (could be a combination or both).

Philip