birding-aus

Observations on copulation behaviours of Blue-faced Honeyeater in suburb

To: <>
Subject: Observations on copulation behaviours of Blue-faced Honeyeater in suburban Brisbane
From: "Stace" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 09:16:33 +1000
Please post if appropriate:

In summary, I observed pre-dawn Blue-faced HEs performing breeding behaviour
and vocalisations that I have not observed in the birds residing my suburb
(Tarragindi) before.  This involved pre- and post- copulation head gestures
and wing vibration movements.

The female was observed making what I can only describe as a harsh,
plaintive long two-note call (substantially different to the usual calls
made during feeding, defence, etc).  It was looking around whilst doing
this. Calling heard for approximately 2 minutes; possibly occurring for 4-5
minutes prior to my finding the location of the bird.

The male quietly approached the female which held its body in a head-down
position like craning at an intruder, with head turned 90o such that the
right eye was looking upwards.  The male mounted the female  briefly, they
perched close to each other, parallel, BOTH taking the above craning
position, WITH wings spread partly out and down, away from bodies.  This
lasted approximately 30 seconds, and a second mounting occurred with the
same behaviour following.

Is this a known copulation-related behaviour?

Thanks

Stacey McLean

email:  <>

phone: 0468413810