birding-aus

Mallacoota visit

To: Jenny Leith <>
Subject: Mallacoota visit
From: Janine Duffy <>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 08:04:11 +1000
Hey Jenny

I was just there and it is fantastic for photography right now! The winter light is so sparkly, you'll love it.

I agree with everything Martin has said. You don't have to go far from town for great sightings - the Sweet Pittosporums are in heavy fruit right now at Develins Inlet near the main street and being gobbled by Satin Bowerbirds, King Parrots, Pied Currawongs and Silvereyes. Superb Lyrebirds are showy and relaxed. Bassian Thrushes are easy to find everywhere.

Karbeethong in the morning is spectacular - if you're staying there you'll see 25 species over breakfast, including White-headed Pigeons.

I can recommend The Narrows walk, that starts at Lakeside Drive Karbeethong, first thing in the morning.

Captain John Gerard's cruise is a must do for photographers - you won't get better opportunities for White-bellied Sea-eagle, Azure Kingfisher and sometimes Wedge-tailed Eagle.

Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters are still at the airport.

Good luck and enjoy, and if you're on Facebook please feel welcome to join Mallacoota Birds for updates, and to share your pics.

Best, Janine