birding-aus

Glossy Black cockatoo

To: Kirri Hardy <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Glossy Black cockatoo
From: Judy Leitch <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:14:19 +1000
Thanks very much for this notification Kirri. Your directions were spot-on and
I found three Glossy Black-Cockatoos feeding intently  for over 2 hours. I
stayed in the car from 4-4:30pm , hoping they would come down to drink at dusk,
but at 4:35 saw 5 fly SE and then noticed the 3 above were gone. They feed so
quietly!

Hopefully, this attachment will go through - if so, can experts out there
please ID the tree species? Thanks!.

Cheers
Judy

> On 29 May 2018, at 7:08 am, Kirri Hardy via Birding-Aus
> <> wrote:
>
> For those interested and live in the Kingscliff NSW area
> On Saturday afternoon...there were 4-5 Glossy black Cockatoos on a quiet side
> road, drinking out of a puddle
> They were there in the Sheoakes at about 4:30pm on an overcast day
> There had been a little rain that day
>
> Cars would drive up to them slowly and be right in front of their face, and
> they wouldn't move...just kept drinking from the shallow puddle on the
> bitumen road and puddles in little side parking areas off the bitumen on dirt
> ground ...thirsty indeed.
>
> Head to Cudgen Creek picnic area in Kingscliff
> Cross over to south side of the bridge and take first left after bridge that
> runs along the edge of the water
> Go along there a bit and they may be in the sheokes
> Couldn't believe how 'tame' they were and definately not a common species
> that I've noticed.
>
> Cheers
> Kirri 👍🏻
> Sent from my iPhone