birding-aus

Vanishing night parrots in WA

To: Laurie Knight <>
Subject: Vanishing night parrots in WA
From: Charles via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 20:43:42 +1100
A few thoughts / questions.

Were sightings more common in the 1800s and early 1900s because of exploration
of this vast continent? On foot.

These days we drive around in big, noisy 4WDs.

Yes there were also few cats around back in those days.

What is the estimated lifespan of night parrots (I suspect not known but can it
be compared to any other distantly related species - perhaps not the Kakapo
that can live close to 100 years)?

Are conservation efforts really worth it? Should funds and efforts just be
focused on the biggest threat, cats? And from Greg’s article, humans now appear
to be a threat (again - we brought the cats, we have changed the fire regimes).

Do we simply let them be? Just protect the sites that have been discovered?

I understand that there are already expensive “tours” to Night Parrot sites.

John Young started all of this (and proved the skeptics wrong with is amazing
efforts). The Australian fauna discovery of the century.

I call for a name change. Pezoporus youngi.

Warm Regards,
Charles Hunter

> On 10 Mar 2018, at 8:00 pm, Laurie Knight <> wrote:
>
> I don’t have all the facts, only what is in the articles.  Based on the
> articles, it looks like the monitoring team might need to do more work
> testing the transmitters on similar/similarly behaving species to have a
> baseline on the performance of the transmitters in the field.  To borrow a
> line, to have one transmitter fail shortly after it is fitted is unfortunate.
>  To have two fail in similar circumstances appears to be careless.
>
>> On 10 Mar 2018, at 1:38 pm, Greg Roberts <> wrote:
>>
>> In a couple of newspaper stories I've revealed that a Night Parrot in
>> Western Australia disappeared after it was caught and fitted with a radio
>> transmitter, and that its mate also vanished subsequently. Can these
>> interventions be justified? More here:
>>
>> http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/second-night-parrot-disappears.html
>>
>> http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/captured-night-parrot-disappears-in-wa.html
>>
>> Greg Roberts
>>
>> Blog: http://sunshinecoastbirds.blogspot.com.au/
>> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gregbirdo
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/gregrobertsqld
>> Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sunshinecoastbirds/
>> Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gregrobertsqld/
>> <HR>
>> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
>> <BR>
>> <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
>> </HR>
>

> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>