birding-aus

Two species of Not so Little Shrike-thrush in Australia

Subject: Two species of Not so Little Shrike-thrush in Australia
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 11:30:13 +1000
The latest review of the complex systematics of Little Shrike-thrush conforms
what some of us have long thought, that the pale NT and WA birds are Arafura
Shrike-thrush, and the rusty east era birds ar Rufous Shrike-thrush I(
long-established Clements name of course). You also get 5 more from New Guinea,
so hope you kept track of where you saw them there…..
Colluricincla

Petter Z. Marki, Jon Fjeldså, Martin Irestedt, Knud A. Jønsson. Molecular
phylogenetics and species limits in a cryptically coloured radiation of
Australo-Papuan passerine birds (Pachycephalidae: Colluricincla). Molecular
Phylogenetics and Evolution, In Press, Accepted Manuscript, Available online 8
March 2018

Abstract:

Detailed knowledge of species limits is an essential component of the study of
biodiversity. Although accurate species delimitation usually requires detailed
knowledge of both genetic and phenotypic variation, such variation may be
limited or unavailable for some groups. In this study, we reconstruct a
molecular phylogeny for all currently recognized species and subspecies of
Australasian shrikethrushes (Colluricincla), including the first sequences of
the poorly known C. tenebrosa. Using a novel method for species delimitation,
the multi-rate Poisson Tree Process (mPTP), in concordance with the
phylogenetic data, we estimate species limits in this genetically diverse, but
phenotypically subtly differentiated complex of birds. In line with previous
studies, we find that one species, the little shrikethrush (C. megarhyncha) is
characterized by deep divergences among populations. Delimitation results
suggest that these clades represent distinct species and we consequently
propose a new classification. Furthermore, our findings suggest that C.
megarhyncha melanorhyncha of Biak Island does not belong in this genus, but is
nested within the whistlers (Pachycephala) as sister to P. phaionota. This
study represents a useful example of species delimitation when phenotypic
variation is limited or poorly defined.

Proposed species-level taxonomy of C. megarhyncha:

C. megarhyncha (megarhyncha, batantae, parvula) - Arafura Shrikethrush
C. tappenbecki (tappenbecki, madaraszi, maeandrina) - Sepik-Ramu Shrikethrush
C. rufogaster (rufogaster, aelptes, gouldii, griseata, normani, synaptica) -
Rufous Shrikethrush
C. discolor (monotypic) - Tagula Shrikethrush
C. obscura (obscura, idenburgi) - Mamberamo Shrikethrush
C. affinis (monotypic) - Waigeo Shrikethrush
C. fortis (fortis, despecta, neos, superflua) - Variable Shrikethrush

Phil Gregory
 <>
ornithological writer/tour leader/tour facilitator
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
PO Box 387
Kuranda
QLD 4881
Australia