birding-aus

Mallacoota

To: Stephen <>
Subject: Mallacoota
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 00:27:35 +0000
Stephen

If you look at the species maps on eBird it will show you all the sightings
for those species, and most of the hotspots are pretty small.

We were down there last week and flushed a Ground Parrot driving (in a VW
Jetta - if it rains I'd suggest a 4WD might be more sensible) along the
airport fence line towards the Gun Club.  One had been previously reported
in 2017 from the airport.  The most reliable site is apparently the
heathland along the walk from Shipwreck Creek to Seal Creek.  This is the
first lot of heath you come to when walking up from Shipwreck Creek.  My
informant suggested that being there early in the morning was helpful in
locating them.

That area is also good for Emu-wrens as is the heath following the track in
the other direction from the Shipwreck Creek campground (towards
Mallacoota).  I have also seen the wrens in the heath under the power lines
opposite Karbeethong Rd (on Genoa Rd about 5km before you get to the town
centre); and in heath beside the road from Betka Beach to Quarry Rd - which
is the road that eventually gets to  Shipwreck Creek.

The two spots I know of for Beautiful Firetail are:

   1. the Lagoon Boardwalk beside Coulls Inlet (pretty much in the town)
   where we have seen them twice in about 20 multi-day visits to the area; and
   2. a swamp right next to the locked gate at the end of Watertrust Rd
   (which starts right by the 70kph speed limit on Genoa Rd).  Some friends
   drove in there and scored a large flock of Beautiful Firetails.  (I've been
   there several other times and dipped).

I've never seen Turquoise Parrots there and the eBird records for the
species in that area are (a) few and (b) pretty ancient in most cases.

If you have a telescope I'd recommend Captain Stevenson's Point as a good
spot for birding at high tide.  Also, the mouth of the Inlet was well
blocked by a 2m high dune last week so you could walk from Bastion Point
across to the far side of the Inlet - effectively  the area which leads to
Nadgee.   I'm not sure how  long that situation will last

Good luck

Martin

Martin Butterfield
http://franmart.blogspot.com.au/

On 12 February 2018 at 10:52, <> wrote:

> I am going to Mallacoota next month, and wonder if any local birders can
> give me advice. I know the area has tons of species, but I am particularly
> after Ground Parrots, Beautiful Firetails, Emu-wrens and Turquoise Parrots.
>
> I know the Nadgee park across the border is a Ground Parrot site, but it’s
> a huge area, so I’d like specific advice.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Stephen
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> <HR>