birding-aus

Barred-cuckoo shrike

To: "" <>
Subject: Barred-cuckoo shrike
From: Kirri Hardy via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 00:00:35 +0000
Hey 😊
Just had to share
Currently the figs are plentiful at my back door in Murwillumbah NSW, with
Channel-billed cuckoos feasting on them each day...along with Fig birds and
fruit bats (at night only)

The surprise came today though
I've been hearing a call like a Black- faced cuckoo shrike near my back door
for the last 3 days
Thought it was just a baby one or an Australasian figbird doing a weird call as
they're plentiful
So the call finally got to me and I just HAD to find out what the weird call
was that I hadn't heard before
I grabbed my binos and found the bird amongst the leaves in a little gum tree
in the backyard, expecting to see a Black faced cuckoo shrike or figbird and a
BARRED-CUCKOO SHRIKE looked back at me 😳
Pretty sure my mouth dropped open with 'You've gotta be kidding me!!'
This is a new species for me right in my backyard...bit of a fruit nomad
apparently.
Still can't believe it...very unexpected
Not colourful but...doesn't have to be..interesting patterns and a beautiful
outstanding yellow eye

Anyways
Just wanted to share
Happy Birding