birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts in BIG numbers yesterday at Lower Daintree, FNQ

To: "" <>, "mike tarburton (SWIFT records)" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts in BIG numbers yesterday at Lower Daintree, FNQ
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 21:07:31 +0000
hello all,

FINALLY some big numbers of Fork-tailed Swifts have turned up on the
Cairns-Port Douglas-Daintree lowlands.

as far as I am aware, these are the first seen near the coast up here since
early Dec when Marie Tarrant saw a few around Cairns.

yesterday's birds were MY first for the season, and their arrival coincided
with the first day of gentle northerly influence in the weather here for 2
weeks. it was a clear, VERY hot, & sunny day.

from our office on the Daintree River near the car ferry crossing at around
mid-morning yesterday, I saw more than just a few hundred Fork-taileds (+/-
1000) wheeling around at a height of about 40-100mtrs above ground. with them
were tens of Aust Swiflets too.

Cairns resident and close friend of mine, Adam Arnold, spent the day with me
and these were his first for the season as well. he and I bumped into my dear
friend Del Richards last eve, and he saw what were probably the same birds not
long after at Newell Beach. this was Del's first record this season for Forkies
on the lowlands around here too.

so it seems that these birds were quite likely to have been the first big
influx of Forkies up here...

cheers,

martin cachard

solar whisper wildlife cruises,