birding-aus

White-throated Needletails

To: Peter Lansley via Birding-Aus <>
Subject: White-throated Needletails
From: David Bishop <>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:24:54 +0000
Happy New Year! As I write at least 150 - 200 WTNT are slowly feeding/ moving
south over Yamba and Pippi Beach, northern NSW. I have been watching them since
07.40 and it is now 08.15 and small groups of 10-20 to feed at eye-level in
front of our balcony - we happen to be on the top (4th) floor of the north end
of the first tallish building on Pippi Beach so ideally placed to watch birds
circling over Yamba and then foraging around the cluster of Araucarias
(presumably because these are similar to the large hemlocks and other
evergreens in their breeding sites) and slowly moving southwards. I am
speculating that the powerful storm that came through late yesterday afternoon
has stirred up a good supply of winged invertebrates that remain relatively
close to the the ground.
David

P. O. Box 1234, Armidale, NSW 2350, Australia

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>