birding-aus

Sunday 19-Nov-17 pelagic from Eaglehawk Neck Tas

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Sunday 19-Nov-17 pelagic from Eaglehawk Neck Tas
From: Els Wakefield <>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 22:54:48 +0000

Hi again,

Paul Brooks says he can't find this report and suggested I copy and
paste it to make sure it comes through.   I thought you had received it
last night so please let me know if you already have the report.

Kind regards,

Els

  Eaglehawk Neck Pelagic Trip Report – 19-November 2017

**

*Participants: *

Ruth Brozek, Jo Colahan, Karen Dick, Jeff Jones, Scott Linnane, Neil
Macumber, Will Newbery, Tirriki Sands, Nicole Sommer (compiler of
detailed notes), Nick Steiner, Peter Vaughan and Els Wakefield (trip
organiser and report writer).

*Boat*:

The Pauletta skippered by John Males with deckhand Hugh.

*Notes:*

After two fantastic pelagics over the past two days, some of us were a
bit worried as we left Pirates Bay because the wind had changed to a
northerly and the swell was low and confused.I was slightly disappointed
not to be able to check the Hippolytes for the new breeding colonies of
Gannets when our skipper suggested heading directly north east to the
south east of Maria Island, towards a good spot from the previous day.
John planned to return with the expected strong northerly winds behind
us.This turned out to be a wise decision because we were rewarded with
good numbers and a variety of very exciting birds. We had seen a total
of 29 species of birds during the day.

*Activities:*

Apart from a couple of Common Diving Petrel, a few Australasian Gannets,
some rafts and a large flying flock of Short-tailed Shearwater, it was
very quiet for birds while we headed straight out to the north east of
Maria Island.

As we reached a depth of 71 fathoms, the Shy Albatross began to arrive
and the Shearwaters increased in number and soon excitement began to
rise as we saw a Fluttering Shearwater and the first White-chinned
Petrel around the boat.

At the first berley stop at 299 fathoms, from just after 9am, a
FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER flew in as well as 5 White-chinned Petrels, 24
Shy Albatross, a Campbell Albatross, 2 Black-browed, a Gibson’s and a
Snowy Albatross and to our delight, a PROVIDENCE PETREL**followed
closely by a KERMADEC PETREL which was a lifer for some of the party and
only the seventh record for Tasmania.There was a bit of excitement when
a small Mako shark and an Australian Fur Seal swam close to the boat.

At 10.40 am the wind strengthened and it was decided to head further
north to the spot that the skipper knew had been productive on the
previous trip.As we headed that way, Hugh kept throwing out the berley
and the albatross followed close behind for some nice flight shots.Even
so far out to sea, there were a few Kelp Gulls and Australasian Gannets
feeding around us.

The highlight at the second berley stop ( lat 4304 876 long 14815 539)
was a second PROVIDENCE Petrel and much to Neil’s delight, 4 Mottled
Petrel.Neil had made a spontaneous last minute decision to fly down from
Victoria, hoping to see one of the reported Mottled Petrel in the
area.These birds were closely followed by 7 Gould’s Petrel, the final
highlight for the trip.

While heading back, everyone kept a lookout for whales as a few distant
blows had been spotted but no whales were identified.Despite some new
faces on board, nobody was seasick and we returned to the jetty quite
exhilarated after a very exciting day.

*Conditions:*

The Pauletta departed Pirates Bay, Eaglehawk Neck at 7.30 on a blue sky
day in light winds and a low, confused swell of about one to one and a
half metres, arriving at the first berley stop in 299 fathoms at
9.04.From 11.25 we travelled north to the second berley stop at 530
fathoms when the northerly wind increased to about 25 knot.One or two
waves splashed people positioned at the stern. We began to motor back to
shore at 12.54, arriving back at the jetty at 3pm.

*Mammals:*

Australian Fur Seal:1 came to the surface to check out the boat.

Mako Shark: 1 small shark estimated to be 60kg was seen clearly below
the water.

*Birds:*

*Max at one time in brackets. *

Black-faced Cormorant: 6 total, all inshore.

Shy Albatross: 50 total including 5 inshore, 8 in pelagic waters from 71
fathoms, 24 at first berley stop, 22 plus 1 immature at second berley
stop, 8-14 on return to shore.

Campbell Albatross:1 (1) Same bird all day seen in pelagic waters.

Black-browed Albatross:4 in total, 2 at first berley stop and 2 at
second berley stop.

Wandering Albatross: 3 total with 1 following the boat after first
berley stop and three at the second berley stop, both in pelagic waters.

Gibson’s Albatross:3 in total (1) including 1 at the first berley stop,
1 at the second berley stop and another in shore on return trip.

Snowy Albatross:1 in pelagic waters.

Silver Gull: 39 total with 37 in shore and others in pelagic waters.

Crested Tern: 8 total with 7 inshore and 1 in pelagic waters.

Australasian Gannet: 22 total with 14 (8) in shore, 5 at first berley
stop (2) following the boat from there to the second berley stop where
there were 3.

Short-tailed Shearwater: Approximately 2,500 total, including 313
inshore, 1,000 (350 in a single raft), 76 at first berley stop, (70)
when heading north and 40 at the second berley stop.

Sooty Shearwater: 3 total, 2 inshore and 1 at the second berley stop.

Hutton’s Shearwater: 1 at the second berley stop.

Fluttering Shearwater:1 in pelagic waters.

FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER: 1 in pelagic waters.

White-chinned Petrel: 21 total, including 1 inshore, 1 in 71 fathoms, 5
at first berley stop,(2) while heading north to second berley stop where
there were 14.

KERMADEC PETREL: 1 total at first berley stop.

PROVIDENCE PETREL: 2 total including 1 at first berley stop and 1 at
second berley stop.

Mottled Petrel : 4 total at second berley stop.

Gould’s Petrel : 7 at second berley stop.

Common Diving Petrel: 2 inshore to shelf.

Great-winged Petrel:1 between berley stops.

Grey-faced Petrel: 5 total, 4 at first berley stop and 1 at second
berley stop.

Great-winged/Grey-faced Petrel: 1 at first berley stop.

Wilson’s Storm-petrel: 8 total, 4 at each berley stop.

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 6 total, 3 at first berley stop, (1) between
stops and 3 (2) at second berley stop.

Grey-backed Storm-Petrel: 2 total, one at each berley stop.

Fairy Prion: 1 at first berley stop.

Northern Giant Petrel: 4 total, 2 at each berley stop.

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>