birding-aus

noisy miner compare sound structure of territorial calls versus mobbing

To: "" <>
Subject: noisy miner compare sound structure of territorial calls versus mobbing calls
From: DOUG HERRINGTON <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 06:00:14 +0000
Can anybody help with the request below please or direct Thierry to a helpful
source. His email address is Thierry LENGAGNE

Thanks

Doug Herrinhton

Dear Doug,

Coming from France, I met you one year ago in Australia and we help me to
discover Australian birds! It was a wonderful experience for me and all my
French friends (birders and Scientifics) are keen of my stories and pictures
about Australian birds.

I 'm come back to you because I need some particular information about one bird
species living in your country: the noisy miner. As I told you, I am a
scientific researcher and I'm working on acoustic communication in birds with
Mylène, a PhD student. Its thesis focus on mobbing call and interspecific
communication. For all my life I never seen as many birds mobbing than in
Australia. Actually she wants to compare sound structure of territorial calls
versus mobbing calls from bird species all over the world. Surprisingly, she
found only two sound tracks of noisy miner in Xeno Canto. They should
correspond to territorial call but are very different from an acoustic point of
view. Hence, I would want to know whether you could listen these two files and
tell me if it is territorial call or not. Additionally, thanks to tell me if
you believe that it will be possible for us to get other recordings from this
species on web site or anywhere else. It will greatly improve the accuracy of
our sound analysis. Of course all people names will be cited in the publication.

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards

Thierry
<HR>