birding-aus

Zeiss binoculars

To: "" <>
Subject: Zeiss binoculars
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 23:45:47 +0000
Hello Stephen,

I am reluctant to recommend any particular brand or model of binocular.
Especially with expensive ones you should at least look through them before
purchase to make sure they suit you.

Over the years I have owned or used a wide variety of binoculars from the best
to the worst.

In a nutshell, the best last longer. I still have my Leitz Trinovids that are
now more than 40 years old and still optically clean and bright but I rarely
use them because of their rather long minimum focus.

Certainly Zeiss Victory are their best and most expensive model and are very
highly regarded. By Zeiss Tetra I assume you mean Terra which are their new low
cost model in the $500 bracket. Not having seen these I can't comment.

What I can comment on is  their "medium" priced model which I recently bought
as a birthday present for my wife.

The Zeiss Conquest HD (we bought the 8 x 32 for their light weight and wide
angle of view) sell for about $1400 and for my eyes at least, these are up with
the best . I have never handled a better binocular.

I just did a Google search for them and see that there is a special on offer
for the 8 x 32s for $999, an absolute bargain.

Cheers

Graeme Chapman
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list