birding-aus

Fairy wrens

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Fairy wrens
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 01:42:44 +0000
I can't see where you're located, Stephen, but with your special interest you
might find this wren species worth a trip –
– "the Mallee emu-wren, described by bird enthusiasts as the 'holy grail' of
birds, can only be found in Victoria's north-west after the 2014 bushfires in
South Australia"–
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-07/rescue-plan-for-native-bird-after-bushfires-destroyed-habitat/8881712?pfmredir=sm

JLA

This note's from the mobile.

> On 9 Sep. 2017, at 8:25 am,  wrote:
>
> Thanks Judith. My brother stays at Southbank when he goes to Bris, but hasn't
> seen wrens, or exotic ones. Was thrilled to see a Red-backed somewhere out of
> town.
> We have been planning a tourist trip there, which now is more urgent.
> The trouble with fairy-wrens is that in Superb territory they are abundant
> and seen everywhere, but in exotic wren distributions they are scarce and
> seldom seen. All non Superbs are exotic to me. I love the wrens, and always
> scour for them wherever I go.
> Good luck with birding.
> Stephen
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 8 Sep 2017, at 6:44 pm, Judith L-A <> wrote:
>>
>> Thx Stephen. The 3 local species are Superb, Variegated, & Red-backed. All 3
>> are seen at the GOMA end. I think the group/s you'll see all along Southbank
>> are Superbs.
>>

>> JLA
>>
>> This note's from the mobile.
>>

>>> On 8 Sep. 2017, at 11:21 am,  wrote:
>>>
>>> Judith,
>>> Interested in your post on wrens in Southbank. What spp are they? Superb
>>> Fairy Wrens?
>>> I had a very exciting spot of White-winged wrens at Lake Mungo last week.
>>> Hadn't seen them since '76.
>>> Stephen
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
<HR>