birding-aus

RFI Colombia/Northern South America Bird Guide

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI Colombia/Northern South America Bird Guide
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 01:29:12 +0000
Hi Bob,

I've just come back from birding in Colombia. I used a combination of the
ProAves book mentioned by Eric (
https://www.amazon.com/Field-Colombia-McMullan-Thomas-Donegan/dp/0982761554)
and the iphone app of the Restall book Birds of Northern South America. You
can get just Colombia (for about $40) or the whole thing for about $130 I
think. It was very useful as it had calls, and better plates than the
ProAves book for many species. I saw just over 500 species in under three
weeks of birding, so it can be a pretty amazing country to go birdwatching
in.

If you need any recommendations for local guides I'd be happy to put you in
touch with the people I used.

Cheers,
Chris

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:57 PM, <> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
> I would recommend the Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia, 2nd edition
> (2013), M. McMullan and T.M. Donegan.
> I definitely would not recommend the 2010 (1st) edition, which, although
> better than nothing, has many mistakes. I recently had some very good views
> of strongly marked birds that were not possible to identify from the first
> edition. The second edition sorted those problematic species easily. The
> second edition is harder to find - you may need to order from the US.
> I had a bit of a look at Birds of Northern South America and it looked
> alright, but I reckon, given the diversity of birds in Colombia alone,
> anything that adds species makes things that march harder, for me anyway.
> Regards
> Eric
>
> > On 14 Aug 2017, at 7:59 pm, Bob <> wrote:
> >
> > Hi All
> >
> > Can anyone please advise what is the best field guide for Colombia?
> >
> > Either Colombia on its own or whether there is one for northern South
> America that would be best to get
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > <HR>
> > <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> > <BR>
> > <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> > </HR>
>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>