birding-aus

Population changes, Short-tailed Shearwaters at Griffiths Island, Vic

To: Bill Stent <>
Subject: Population changes, Short-tailed Shearwaters at Griffiths Island, Vic
From: Sonja Ross <>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 04:57:26 +0000
Hi Bill,

If you go to eBird Explore Data, then Species Distribution maps and put in
Short-tailed Shearwater as the species and Griffith Island Port Fairy as
the Location, you then get a map with a pop-up list of all the lists that
have been submitted.   You might want to try the same thing with Port Fairy
as the Location as I think I only used that.  Not everyone does counts
though unfortunately.

I hope that helps.

Sonja

On 17 March 2017 at 14:54, Bill Stent <> wrote:

> Hi folks, I'm looking for a bit of help with ebird or some other source.
>
> A work colleague has asked me to see if I can find out whether the
> population of STSs on Griffiths Island (at Port Fairy in Victoria) has
> changed over the past five years or so. It seems that there's been an
> increased effort been put into fox control over the past few years, and
> he's wondering if there's been any noticeable difference in the population
> of STSs.
>
> I found that on eBird there's a hotspot for Griffiths Island, but I'm
> having some trouble finding a way of getting the data out. There have been
> 85 checklists submitted to eBird over the past 10 years, but I can't seem
> to find a way of finding the counts of STSs for those lists (along with
> dates).  Can anyone help me out?
>
> Also, if anyone knows of any other work or studies done that would give us
> an understanding of population changes there, that'd be fantastic.
>
> You can respond either to the list or directly to me.
>
> Bill
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>