birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo - Eastlakes GC, Pagewood, Sydney - 12 March 2017

To: Tom Wilson <>
Subject: Oriental Cuckoo - Eastlakes GC, Pagewood, Sydney - 12 March 2017
From: "cgregory123 ." <>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 09:23:54 +0000
Tom
Indeed it is an hepatic. After posting a photo on Birdlines this arvo I
posed the question whether it was an hepatic female. Joshua Bergmark kindly
replied as one of the moderators  "the bird is moulting out of juvenile
plumage into adult female hepatic plumage - this is why it looks quite
scruffy on the face compared to a standard adult."
So it's a young one. Well it got here and now it presumably has a long
flight back to its summer breeding grounds in Mongolia or thereabouts.
Cheers
Chris

On 13 March 2017 at 19:32, Tom Wilson <> wrote:

> All
> it has been very sensibly suggested to me (thanks Peter Madvig) that I add
> to this post that the bird is an hepatic morph female, so reddish brown in
> colour rather than grey.  Good photos of the bird can be seen on both the
> spots mentioned below.
> (As there are a few species – notably cuckoos - that show hepatic morphs,
> I thought I’d better look up what hepatic meant before I started throwing
> it around in emails – a deep brownish/red colour, like liver.  From the
> same Greek root as heptatitis.)
> Cheers
> Tom

<HR>