birding-aus

Magpie-lark demanding food

To: "" <>
Subject: Magpie-lark demanding food
From: Graeme Chapman <>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 21:01:41 +0000
It's not a good idea to start feeding Magpie-larks.

Some years ago there was a tame pair of Magpie-larks frequenting the shopping
centre mall at Noosa Heads in Qld and there were instances of them attacking
people in the face, or the eyes.

I too have had a "tame" bird that we used to feed at home at Beerwah, fly at my
face.

The theory is that they are actually attacking their reflections in your eyes.
Just a theory, but certainly possible.

Magpie-larks are certainly well-known for attacking their reflections in
windows, glass doors etc.

Recently I witnessed a male bird at Mt Ive in S.A. that spent much of his day
attacking his reflection in a chromiun plated section of machinery, until I
turned it round so he couldn't see it.

Regards

Graeme Chapman
<HR>