birding-aus

FW: Lorikeet Die off

To: Martin Butterfield <>, Chris Lloyd <>
Subject: FW: Lorikeet Die off
From: Roger Giller <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 00:36:10 +0000
I have a smallish Grevillea "Honey Gem" in my garden at Barden Ridge in
southern Sydney. For the past 3-4 weeks we have had a high presence of
Rainbow Lorikeets feeding on the dozen or so flowers, to the point where I
wondered just how productive a single flower head can be. The plant would
have one or two birds present for about half the daylight hours. There are
also Red Wattlebirds at about half the frequency of the Lorikeets. They have
the occasional squabble but generally seem to tolerate each other pretty
well.

I just wish I could train them to chase off the Koels who have taken a
liking to my Cherry Tomatoes.

Regards
Roger.