birding-aus

Lists

To: 'Philip Veerman' <>, "" <>, Tony Russell <>
Subject: Lists
From: Gary Davidson <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 23:23:36 +0000
With regards to the osprey question, it has always intrigued me how differently
"Australian" Ospreys behave compared to the ones common to my area in British
Columbia, Canada. My observation is that Ospreys in Australia are almost
exclusively salt water fishers, and that they frequently build their nests
relatively close to the ground. I have seen nests on large rocks etc. Here in
BC, Ospreys are almost exclusively fresh water fishers. Even those that live
close to the coast frequently fish in fresh water. They nest well above the
ground, traditionally in trees (always at the very top, with no branches above
the nest), but more recently on man-made structures such as electricity
transmission poles. Statistically, most nests in BC are between 10 and 20m
above the ground. My home is on the side of a long narrow lake; there is a
transmission line running along the edge of the lake for about 55 km. In that
stretch, between 15 and 20 pairs of Osprey nest on the poles every year.  If
behaviour is a clue to species status, then Osprey is a candidate!Gary